HDB Hacking Permit
A renovation permit is needed for HDB hacking. This is because the hacking service is part of the renovation work.
According to the Department of Statistics Singapore, there are around 78.3% of Singapore residents are living in HDB in 2021. Thus, HDB hacking services are much more popular compared to private residential properties.
HDB Hacking Guidelines
- You should engage an HDB Registered Renovation Contractor to carry out the hacking and demolition works for you.
- For window works, the hacking contractor must be a BCA Approved Window Contractor listed with HDB.
- Although approval is needed from HDB, HDB is not involved in the contract. It is on a private basis between you and the hacking contractor.
- Whether it is an HDB Registered Renovation Contractor or a BCA Approved Window Contractor, you can search the list in HDB InfoWEB. (Read more about the tips for choosing hacking contractors)
- You will face a court fine of up to SGD 5,000 if you fail to obtain the renovation permit from HDB or fail to comply with the guidelines. Also, you must also remove all the unauthorized works and reinstate the flat to its original condition at your own cost.
- For renovation or hacking works that do not require permits, you will still have to comply with the conditions set in the guidelines.
Application for Hacking Permit
Here are a few steps to apply for the HDB hacking permit:
- You need to authorize your hacking contractor to submit the renovation application on your behalf if HDB’s prior approval is needed.
- Your hacking contractor will attach a copy of the acknowledgment form signed by you and other flat owners if any, during the online submission. The form can be downloaded here.
- In case the online submission is not available, your contractor will then submit the application form to the HDB Jurong Branch Office.
- If your renovation works involve the demolition of walls, you need to provide your HDB floor plan to your contractor to submit to HDB for evaluation.
- Before HDB grants your permit, you are required to open a Utilities Account (Water and Electricity) with SP Services Ltd.
Types of Renovation or Hacking Works
Renovation that are not allowed
Renovation that do not require permit
These renovation works do not require a permit from HDB. However, They are subject to HDB’s Renovation Guidelines/Conditions.
Looking for HDB hacking contractor?
At Philip Hacking, your dream home is our priority. Feel free to contact us to plan for your hacking services before renovation.